It is too soon to say just how mobile phone usage affects our health in the long term. It is however, a known fact that mobile phones generate electromagnetic fields (EMFs), radiation that causes change in anything that it comes into contact with. Because of the way we use our mobiles, it means that these EMFs come into direct contact with our brains. Studies have linked using a phone for a long period of time — ten years or more — with a higher incidence of brain tumors and non-cancerous ear tumors known as acoustic neuromas.
There are other adverse health factors associated with mobiles, including a reduction in the quality of men’s sperm, heart disease, other cancers, and female reproductive development damage. It is not always in the interest of the industry to look for solutions to these early signs of the effects of mobile phone technology on our health. Therefore, it falls to us to implement our own solutions. Here is a list of ways you can minimize your exposure to mobile phone EMFs:
• Minimizing use
• Using a shielded wire headset or speaker phone
• Keeping phone at a reasonable distance from the body
• Turning your phone off when not in use
• Using a land line with a corded phone whenever possible
• Texting instead of talking
• Switching phone from one side of the head to the other
• Avoid using your phone when reception is poor
Research into the effects of EMFs is ongoing, but whatever conclusions are reached, minimizing the effects now instead of later is timely and crucial.